So should you replace or repair the flat roof system on your home? Problems, however, develop when flat roofs are designed incorrectly or installed improperly. Flat roofs have a specific set of challenges when it comes to repairing or replacing them. Here are some key points to keep in mind when repair or replacement is under consideration.
- Far too often flat roofs begin to develop roofing issues that need attention long before the the expected lifespan of the roof is over.
There are two options to consider when looking to address an issue with your flat roof.
- Flat roof repair
- Flat roof replacement
Repair Or Replacement: Which Is Better?
The question is how to decide which option is more viable and cost-effective? Here are a few things that will help point you in the right direction.
- The condition of the roof
- Causes of damage, traffic, debris, or storms
- Type of insulation used
- Degree of the damage
- Parts of roof that are damaged
- Whether you are looking for a long-term or short-term solution
This article provides comprehensive details of the two above-mentioned options to help you make the right decision. The benefits of each option are mentioned so that it becomes more convenient to choose the best roofing solution for your flat roof.
Flat Roof Repair
- A damaged roof does not necessarily need to be replaced. In some instances, the issues affecting your roof are minor and easy to repair. In such cases, the entire flat roof replacement is an unnecessary expense.
If your roof has good insulation and functions effectively, repairing your roof would be a more cost-effective solution.
Reasons To Choose Repair
Here are some reasons to choose repair over replacement:
- When the membrane or base material used in the construction of the flat roof has not reached its life expectancy and is in a good condition.
- If the insulation of the roof is intact or in good shape and it is not dried or crushed.
- If you are looking for a budget-friendly option and want to keep the cost down.
Benefits Of Flat Roof Repair
Repairs are less expensive than a full roof replacement
- Prolong the life of the roof
- Allow saving for a future replacement
- Take less time than the entire roof replacement
Flat Roof Replacement
Full replacement of flat roof becomes inevitable when:
- You have failed to look after your flat roof.
- Repairs have been neglected for too long.
- Damaged is too serious to consider a repair.
- If the repairs that have already been made are failing, you need to replace your roof.
- If the flat roof has been repaired more than once then repair or recovery may not be an option.
Reasons To Choose Replacement
Planning a flat roof replacement is a wise move:
- If your roof needs serious repairs but the estimated cost of repairs exceeds the typical repair budget.
- When the flat roof insulation begins to buckle, develop soft spots, or saturation.
- When a long-term or permanent solution is under consideration.
- If you want to go for new technologies for your flat roofs such as solar or Energy Star rated roofs.
Signs That Indicate Flat Roof Need Replacement
- Roof inspections twice a year, ideally in the spring and fall, play a huge role in assessing the condition of the roof and determining the major issues.
The following conditions show that your roof needs to be replaced:
- Sagged ceiling or roof deck
- Leaks and water damage
- Holes in the roof
- Darks spots and trails
If you are looking for repair and construction of flat roofs, call us at (202) 629-3692. Our team at Infinity Design Solutions has decades of experience in the repair of flat roof systems. We are located in Washington, DC.