Building a home is a one-time investment. It takes years of hard work and savings to build the home of your dreams. It is, therefore, crucial not to take the structural integrity of the home for granted. Roofs being the most important aspect of a home should be created right.
Pros Of Flat Roofs
The advantages of a flat roof system are discussed below:
Less Expensive Than Slopped Roofs
- The most common advantage that flat roofs have over sloped roofs is their cost. A pitched roof will cost thousands of dollars more as compared to a flat roof of the same size. For flat roofs cost of material and installation is comparatively less. There is less risk in the installation of flat roofs so the labor is cheaper.
Flat roofs can be installed quickly and easily thereby requiring less labor work. These roofing systems have fewer overall complications in terms of damages and repairs. Moreover, a flat roof allows you to save more money upfront.
Extend The Outdoor Space
- The space on the flat roof can be utilized in many ways. Flat roofs are especially beneficial for homeowners without much of a yard. The roof can be used to extend the outdoor useable space. With just a little touch-up, your flat roof can serve as a lounge space, a place to relax, or arrange barbecue parties.
Here are a few more ideas to use the flat roof as an outdoor space:
- It can serve as an ideal location to set up a rooftop garden.
- A well-designed flat roof can provide an additional room for a home office.
- Solar panels can ideally be installed on flat roofs
- Flat roofs are easier to inspect on regular basis therefore their maintenance is a pain-free task. With flat roofs, it is easier to clean gutters, check sidings, or patch a hole. Flat roofs with EPDM roofing can retain the heat which allows you to save on heating bills.
Provide A Space For Installing HVAC Units
- Flat roofs are popular for providing an ideal space for placing HVAC units. When HVAC systems are placed on the roof instead of the ground, the risk of damage is reduced. Flat roofs offer greater protection and security to your HVAC units.
However, homeowners should plan well before installing HVAC units on the rooftop. Substructure should be checked to ensure that the roof has enough capacity. The HVAC systems should not be installed on roofs with low spots and holes.
Cons Of Flat Roofs
Although the benefits of flat roofs weigh more than the drawbacks, the following things require consideration before installing flat roofs.
- Flat roofs require more attention when it comes to drainage. Sloped roofs can drain water easily but flat roofs are susceptible to potential drainage issues. Consistent rainfall can result in puddling if the roof is not properly installed.
Lack of Style And Curb Appeal
- Flat roofs usually come in solid colors such as black, white, or grey. If you are looking for design and style, flat roofs may not be ideal for you. But roofing solutions such as roof restoration services can entirely transform an old roof into a more functional and attractive roof.
Less Strength And Stability
- Flat roofs are comparatively less stable. They may not be able to withstand the weight. The builders compensate other structures during construction to strengthen the building. Take help from a professional roofing company to create a good maintenance plan and to perform periodic inspections.
For repair and construction of flat roofs, call us at (202) 629-3692. Our team at Infinity Design Solutions has decades of experience in the repair of flat roof systems. We are located in Washington, DC.